Wednesday, December 06, 2006


Painting Series Fall 2006
Well as you can see this series is not complete. However 1/3 of it is here and the other parts will be done by Tuesday (that is when they are due). If I had to pick a title for it it would be, "The Series From Hell," because I put a little too much on my plate for this assignment. Hopefully I can get it done. I began looking at some hispanic artists for inspiration because I was thinking about studing Mexican culture/art over the summer and came upon a talented painter/sculptor by the name of Manuel Neri. His work intrigues me due to his treatment of color and integration of the background into the foreground. With my own series I was attempting to work from Neri's paintings with the intention of portraying my figure as expressive, feminine, and gestural. I wanted to play around with the concept of having blocks of color in the background leak into the boundaries of the figure. However as I began painting and after a discussion with a professor, I realized that the background and foreground were compteing and it was not obvious what the focus of the painting was. I am satisfied with the first painting, and hope that the next two continue to resemble and mimic this painting to complete the series.
Some other artists that I discovered while researching my series were Alberto Giacometti and Nathan Oliviera. Both work with both abstract, realistic, and expressive styles. I really enjoyed looking at Nathan Oliviera's work because he is also a printmaker. As I work with both medias it is interesting to see how Oliviera does as well.

1 comment:

lachness said...

i love this series!! the color and use of lines is amazing! see you in triathlon class on monday???